Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Bedtime Stories

Do you have specific bedtimes you read to your little ones at night?? We have 3 read to our smallest; Goodnight Moon, Love you Forever, and Spot goes to the park. Those are his 3 favorites. Although he loves the Dr Suess books, they are long to read for bedtime.

Goodnight Moon was written by Margaret Wise Brown, an american's children's book. It is a highly acclaimed children's bedtime story. It is about a child saying goodnight to everything (as written by Wikipedia).

"In the Great green room, there was a telephone, a red balloon and a picture of The cow jumping over the moon....You know the story. I have been reading Andrew this story since he was about 3 months old. It has became a huge favorite of his to read at bedtime. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, he will ask for me to read the story to him before i lay him back down in bed. I can read the story without the book, and when he is half asleep is the only time I can get away with reading the story without the book or else he will ask and bed for the book because he loves the pictures.

Goodnight room, Goodnight moon, Goodnight cow jumping over the moon....We got to the point where we handed him the book a year or so ago and let him turn the pages while we read the story. Nathan and I had a system of reading it. He read one page and I the other page, and continued till the story was over.

Goodnight stars, Goodnight air, Goodnight noises everywhere....

Love You Forever was written by Robert Munsch. It tells the story of the evolving relationship between a boy and his mother. I cannot read this book without shedding some type of tears somewhere while reading it (as written by Wikipedia).

A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she held him, she sang: I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.

My mother read this story to me when I was a child. I remember my mother holding the book and reading it to me. And I too remember my mother shedding tears while reading the story me as well. I didn't buy the book for Andrew till he was over a year old. And starting reading it shortly after. It took him awhile to get into the book. He does sit in my lap for bedtime stories. When I read these parts of the stories "very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth" I do rock him back in forth while I am reading it.

When the son came home that night, he stood for a long time at the top of the stairs. Then he went into the room where his very new baby daughter was sleeping. He picked her up in his arms and very slowly rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while he rocked her he sang: I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.

The last book Andrew asks for his "Spot Goes to the Park" It is written by Eric Hill. It is an small interactive book.

This book actually belongs to a series of books that Eric Hill wrote, that was later turned into a popular children's animated series on television (as written by Wikipedia).

I do not even remember where we got this book. I believe it was a hand me down book from friends, or possibly somewhere else. But Andrew loves the book. It is very short, so it is normally the last book I read, but he begs for me to read it first, but I always save it for the end. It is not a pop up book, but there are parts of it where Andrew can flip up a cover and see something new.

Come, Spot. What are you doing? (under a flap), I'm getting my ball. And drew always points to blue on the ball saying "That is my favorite color mommy, BLUE"

These are Drew's favorite bedtime stories...What are your children's favorite bedtime stories???

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book Love You Forever makes me cry too. I can't believe my oldest is already 2 1/2, it goes so fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you from the exposure blog hop. Followed and all of that!! Every single one of those books were a part of my childhood and now as a parent a part of my adulthood. Funny how life comes full circle!

    ReplyDelete